MonkeyRobot is a duo made of
Brussels based beatmakers Eric P. and LuiGi
More on Last.fm
Bonus track from the “EARSHOT” EP out on Darker Than Wax on Oct 3rd 2014
MonkeyRobot is an eclectic producer duo made up of Brussels-based beatmakers Eric P. and LuiGi (or Eric Paquet and Louis Van De Leest). Their trademark – exploring the boundaries of soulful music between 90 and 120 bpm. With their illustrious background in hiphop and jazz, they join forces to delve into the future of beatmaking. Not surprising then, that their music has been revered, having the privilege of releasing under labels such as Jazzy Sport, Bastard Jazz, Brownswood, and now, Darker Than Wax.
“Earshot” has a lovely intro in High Five, which kicks off with a wonky bassline before flipping into a total fusion workout. This immediately sets the tone for the Ep. “Dumpster Diving” takes over with a House mode, one which would prove to be extremely useful in getting a floor started. Beau on the other hand, provides a shade of contrast, with Glaper-esque keys which illuminate the journey of the album. The energy picks up again with the ethnic percussions and half step breakdown of Shango, showcasing the multi-faceted side of this duo, while “Bright” morphs into a late night House workout once again, this time employing slight Techno elements in its composition. And finally, capping off the Ep is “Generation”, a slick dub blend – the oscillating synths blanketed over groovy basslines are ingeniously comforting and catchy, ending the album on an exulting note.
@monkeyrobot – www.monkeyrobot.eu
@darkerthanwax – www.darkerthanwax.com
Join the conversationTweets by @TheMonkeyRobot
No gigs to announce yet!
MonkeyRobot is an eclectic producer duo made up of Brussels-based beatmakers Eric P and LuiGi (or Eric Paquet and Louis Van De Leest). Their trademark: exploring the boundaries of soulful music between 70 and 120 bpm. A sweaty club, a dusty festival or a Caribbean beach: anything will do (although we could consider granting you a discount for the latter). Either way, as much as both gentlemen enjoy spending quality time in their studio, MonkeyRobot loves to share its music and energy by bringing organic live performances, with lots of keys and MPC drumming.
Needless to say these men are versatile both creatively and technically. And they’ve got ten years of activity as hip-hop producers under the moniker Infinitskills to prove it. Since early 2010 they’ve changed their name and visual identity into MonkeyRobot. And as their shirt states it: MonkeyRobot is not here for peanuts. The MonkeyRobot duo also makes part of the jazzproject 74 MILES AWAY is a collaboration with the talented jazz pianist/composer Pierre Anckaert. They take you on a trip from the era of Bob James, Weather Report and Herbie Hancock to the future beat sound of today. The heavy analogue synth action and deep Moog basslines are omnipresent, keeping the lush Fender Rhodes sound in balance.
The beats, moreover, are from MonkeyRobot’s signature – which is why no seating is provided: the gentlemen make jazz get a move on.
74 MILES AWAY’s first eponymous album was released on Melting Pot Music and featured collaborations with AHU, Miles Bonny & Carina Andersson (4 Hero). A first single from this album Same Dream Again has been released early January on the infamous London-based label Brownswood. This summer Pierre, Eric, Louis & Stefan are hitting the studio again which will result in an album early 2013. But no way they are putting the live concerts on hold. Just too eager to play and please. And a real treat at the bar too, by the way.
DISCOGRAPHY & PRODUCTION CREDITS
• Eric P – Home Project LP (2001)
• Infinitskills – NonstopBeatBuilders EP (2005)
• Eric P – Omar Perry RMX – CD (2005)
• Baloji – Hotel Impala – Virgin (2007) / Production
• Tar One – A la première personne (2007) / Production
• Infinitskills presents – Nine V_A – Citywurl records (2008)
• Los Marolles – V_A – (2008) / Production
• Infinitskills – Polarized EP- (2009)
• The Louie Gee Ensemble – Scrabble 7” – Jazzy Sport (2009)
• DopeSkwad – “Décadence” – Crash Text Recordz (2009)
• J to the C – Nono ( LuiGi remix) – On-Point Records (2010)
• Baloji – Kinshasa Succersale RMX– Crammed Records (2011)
• 74 Miles Away – Selftitled LP – Melting Pot Music (2011)
• Mo & Grazz – Change the world RMX – Featherperm Records (2011)
• 74 Miles Away ft AHU & Miles Bonny – Same dream again (single) – Brownswood (2011)
• 74 miles Away – All school flavour vol. 1 V_A – LDBK (2010)
• MonkeyRobot – Tempo Dreams V_A –Bastard Jazz (2012)
• J to the C – Sweet Rendez-Vous RMX – Citywurl/On-Point Records (2012)
• MonkeyRobot- The Bastard Jazz EP – Bastard Jazz Records(2012)
• Heavenly Sweetness – Digging the blogosphere Vol 2 V_A LP – (2013)
• 74 Miles away – Gear Change LP 12”” – LDBK(2013)
• Dandy Teru – Adventures LP 12” RMX – Ubiquity Records (2013)
• MonkeyRobot – Earshot EP – Darker Than Wax (2014)